Listen to Encana's management team discussing the company's Q1 2013 results in a live webcast and see the quarterly results documents.
We strive to reduce the emissions intensity and increase the energy efficiency of our operations.
Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel, producing about 25 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions than oil and up to 65 percent less CO2 emissions than coal. Even though natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel, we continue to direct our attention to further reducing air pollutants from our production methods. We are not just focused on current improvements to air quality. We are constantly looking to the future by advocating for increased natural gas usage in transportation and power generation.
(1) Some historic figures have been revised as we continue to improve our systems and incorporate various regulatory changes.
(2) Canadian Division emissions methodologies follow Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers protocols.
(3) USA Division methodology follows a combination of American Petroleum Institute and Mandatory Reporting Rule methodologies and emissions factors.
(4) Canadian and USA Divisions are not directly comparable because data capture processes vary according to business system limitations and regulatory requirements.
(5) USA Division calculates combustion type GHG emissions from measured fuel and fuel usage derived from equipment's power rating and certain operational assumptions. This approach is selected due to existing regulatory requirements for calculation of other air emissions.
(6) Direct operated GHG emissions includes Cavalier power station in Canadian Division.